Sant Julià de Cerdanyola
This municipal area, located in the Cerdanyola valley on the right bank of the Llobregat river, borders on the municipalities of La Pobla de Lillet in the east, Castell de l’Areny and La Nou in the south and Guardiola de Berguedà in the north-east. The village of Sant Julià de Cerdanyola is centred around a church documented in medieval times. Tradition animal husbandry and farming activities in the area have given way to tourism and construction, and the village and its surrounding area is now a popular destination for tourists and location for second homes.
The village’s main attraction is its winding streets lined with stone houses typical of the Alt Berguedà.
The parish of Cerdanyola was mentioned in the controversial consecration ceremony of the Cathedral of La Seu d’Urgell, and again in a later document detailing the donation of ten farms to the monastery of Sant Llorenç; in 1106, bishop Ot d’Urgell consecrated its new Romanesque church, replaced in the 18th century by a Baroque church with a single nave, square presbytery and bell-tower.
On the roadside before entering Cerdanyola is the chapel of Les Esposes, built in the Neoclassical style in 1858 on the edge of a spectacular precipice. Cerdanyola has preserved its customs, festivals and traditions, including the Fia-faia, which illuminates Christmas Eve.
For further information: www.santjuliadecerdanyola.cat