The monastery of Santa Maria de Serrateix was founded in the X century, enjoying the protection of the counts of Cerdanya and Berguedà Sires. Accumulation of significant assets and their income allowed him to make significant architectural works from its founding until the nineteenth century. The works of the church of the monastery began in the late XI century, being consecrated in 1126.
It is a church of Latin cross, a single nave covered with pointed vault reinforced with arches and crown on the east by a semicircular apse decorated, on the outside, with blind arches and Lombard bands. Under the cruise there is a crypt.
In the eighteenth century were carried out major refurbishment: the semicircular apses which flanked the main apse were replaced by the current square chapels; the gateway was remodeled; the nave was plastered and all the church was decorated with neoclassical elements, but the burning of the church during the civil war led to the destruction of its interior.
The bell tower at west is a solid tower of the XIVth century. From this century are also the abbot's palace, and the courtyard.
The Gothic cloister was replaced in the late eighteenth century to the present style, somewhere between baroque and neoclassical.
The set was declared Place of Cultural Interest in 1982.